DAVE RASTOVICH //// Minds In The Water – Documentary
Posted on October 31, 2013 by Trace
Who is Dave Rastovich?
Rasta used to be married to a mermaid. His signature boardshorts are made out of recycled plastics. He’s ‘saving the whales’.
More on Rasta☟
In 2006, Rasta, along with fellow activist and Sea Shepherd crewmember, Howie Cooke, co-founded the group “Surfers for Cetaceans” (www.s4cglobal.org).
In Chile, he lead a crew of 30 surfers, artists, activists and media-ists in a month-long awareness campaign to serve as part of his movie Minds In The Water.
Rasta owns and is known for his incredible ability to ride many different boards. On any day of the week you could find him skipping along on his guts on a blow up surf mat, spinning 360s (nude!) on an aleia, gouging huge cutbacks on a conventional quad or thruster, heading up the coast somewhere on a 17ft paddle board or not riding anything at all (bodysurfing).
Whatever’s he doing, Rasta is for real.
The protests in Japan. The campaigns in Chile. Adventures with the Sea Shepherd crew.
A sailing trip down the coast of Australia.
Minds in the Water – based on a five-year adventure is an award winning documentary following the quest of professional surfer Dave Rastovich and his friends to protect dolphins, whales and the oceans they all share. Spanning the globe from Australia to the Galapagos, Tonga, California, Alaska and Japan – it was released in November 2012 – We see one surfer’s quest to activate his community to help protect the ocean and its inhabitants.
Minds in the Water is available on DVD here
Q&A || Rasta || Billabong Bio
- Billabong, sanuk, electric sunglasses, formula energy surfboards, sticky bumps.
- Seven Mile Beach
- Byron Bay, NSW, Australia.
- Date of birth
- 31st December, 1980.
- Perfect day
- Riding an unsurfed wave with friends far from cities filled with vacuous technological lours.
- Major accomplishments
- Long distance paddle and sail ecological campaigns, riding unchartered waves and surfing the way i feel to.
- Coolest place you’ve ever been
- Alaska and Tasmania
- Favorite food
- Anything without a face or a mother feels the best to me-
- Kind of car
- Standard stinky, polluting ute. you can’t polish a turd and every petrol/diesel car is a turd in my book.
- Living person you most admire
- My lovely lady Lauren Lindsey Hill Coke Herman Cole Davis
- Never leave home without
- Leaving something behind.
- When not surfing, I’m
- When I was little I wanted to be
- Surfing all day everyday
- Years surfing
- If I were an animal, I would be
- Pelifin, it is a perfect mix of half dolphin and half pelican. they exist in isolated regions of the world where old Greg the man who lives at the bottom of black lake where he keeps the ball of funk to himself for safe keeping.
- Favorite book
- Eternal seas, oceanic poetry from yesteryear.
- Perfect happiness
- The name of a friends dog. A lot of pressure on the dog to not get pissed off but is seems to live up to it’s name.
- Guilty pleasure
- Sorbet gelato after surfing
- Word or phrase you overuse
- Probably my middle name….mate.
- Most treasured possession
- A pelifin feather.
- My secret talent is
- Puns, and wordsmithery
- Could live anywhere, where?
- Sirius A, in spirit form that would be rad.
- Secret obsession
- Puns and wordsmithery
- My worst habit is
- Puns, and wordsmithery.
- Songs on repeat right now
- Gayatri mantra
- Value most in life
- Favorite occupation
- Helping others
- My motto is
- Be sincere not serious
- Greatest extravagance
- Having lots of time in my days.
- Favorite band(s)
- Matson two, fleet foxes, hendrix, anugama
- Favorite way to pass time on long flights
- First thing you pack for a trip
- Passport- finding most everything else isn’t too hard with a bit of imagination.
- Favorite board at the moment
- A venturi effect concave running through my 5’9 twin fin with a little stablisier fin on the tail.. bodysurfing is pretty high on the list right now too
- Come back in as your next life
- Sweet, i never knew reincarnation was so widely accepted— pelifin.
- Favorite movies
- Best night out outfit
- White buffalo woman
- Favorite surf spot
- Anywhere clean, uncrowded and hollow will be a treat
- Light and sound, love and fear, laughter and tears, cheeseball answers to questions like this answer is.
- Best advice ever been given
- Smooth seas never made a skilfull sailor
- Astrological sign…
- I was born in capricornian times